/* Google analyics */

Friday, September 19, 2008

A very long post -

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

">Ok ok ok , I have been so busy these last few weeks my head literally feels like it is spinning. I have been up to a lot of great things but thought I would share one of my biggest. A lot of you have been asking me about how I have lost weight and thought I would share here. Those of you that haven't noticed, all the better and thank you. I have to say that the change in my relationship with food far outweighs the pounds lost. I recommend seeking that change before seeking any number.

Some Background -

In early 2006 we moved into a duplex while we built our house. I packed away the scale to escape the madness for a few months. Hazel was four months old and I was still carrying a lot of baby weight. During that time I was full on running in the mornings - we had a track right across the street. This was the first time I was really committed to exercising. I had exercised but I hate to sweat and tried to avoid it at all costs. Not this time, I was kickin' it.
Needless to say, when I finally did step on the scale I was the biggest I have ever been. Yikes! I was devastated to say the least.
I did lose a quick five pounds, probably from the relief of building stress and another five pounds in the first few months from running up and down the stairs a million times a day (which is one reason I wanted them). Then at the end of last summer I got that yucky swimming pool sickness that is not fun. After that, I saw the number on the scale I usually see after my baby weight naturally falls off and I need to start working for the last 5 or so pounds but the weight bounced up and down. In March of this year, I started to weigh myself every Monday morning and logging it, just to get a feel for where I was. The fluctuation drove me crazy so I wanted to compare apples to apples. I came down another five pounds just from doing that and I was feeling back to normal. Throughout this time some would ask if I was losing weight and I never said yes. I was just getting back to normal, not losing. I should have allowed myself those triumphs instead I just cursed myself for the gain.

Now -

A few months ago my friend Jennie, hi Jennie, announced on her blog that they had hired a nutritionist and where taking the plunge for better health. She looked great already. No one would have thought she was fat by any means. I was amazed that she was so optimistic. She seemed matter-of-fact about the fact that she was going to lose weight and get thinner. It made me think like I never had. I had never wanted to yo-yo and used that excuse to never start any kind of diet whether good or bad. I would rather be fat than lose weight only to gain it and more. But, Jennie seemed so sure so I watch and waited.
In July Jennie came to book club with her new rockin' hot bod. I looked at her and a million thoughts went through my head. Was I the one labeling myself with things like "I have my mom's thighs and can't do anything about it. I could never look like her. She must live off of lemon over lettuce". It was not like I was going to the drive-thru and ordering huge amounts of food and eating them in back alleys. I thought I needed to just accept my body to be happy. I worked for years trying to just accept myself. I was succeeding too until I saw Jennie and realized I was limiting myself. (I guess you had to be there to really understand)

The next day I wrote myself a pledge and taped it to the bathroom wall. I was a different person and I could feel it in my bones. I also found MyFitness Pal.com. It has changed my life. I learned that I don't have to give up things I like and I can still lose the weight. I get the science it takes to lose and it is very empowering. It gives you guide lines to follow and helps you track your food with just a few clicks each day. Try it! It is absolutely free!

Some hints -
Don't go overboard with your expectations. 1/2 to 1 pound a week is a lot to lose. The slower the better. If you are looking for the fast melt you will be sorry when your body wins that tug-of-war and adds a few pounds for good measure. Focus on your relationship to food, food is not evil and should be enjoyed. There is a difference in attitude when you eat your favorite foods that you will notice when your mind is in the right place.
Don't think less is better. On the site you will find out your daily calorie count and stuff. When you exercise it adds more calories for that day. You must eat most of your calories if not all or you battle will be more up hill that necessary - you body will save calories instead of burn them.

Since that first time on the scale two years ago I have lost 30 pounds from my highest to my lowest. Wow! I am grateful for the new outside me, but love the new inside me. If you would like a more in depth explanation I would love to help get you where you want to be. It can be done!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Mechelle, I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to check out YOUR hot bod next week at BC. You are such a strong person - stronger than you know. Love ya girl!

Jewels said...

You go girl!! You do look amazing, thanks for sharing your secrets with us.

Brindy said...

You're awesome Mechelle -- It's great to have such great insight from you at book club. I'll definitely be talking with you in 6 months about how to bounce my weight back. Good Luck, you already look amazing!!

"All you need is love" said...

I knew it! I had asked you so many times before and you would say no, so last week when I was thinking "Dang Gina, she looks good" I thought the better to say something. Maybe I thought you would think I thought you bigger before. You look awesome and I've noticed for awhile it coming off. Fun to hear of your journey. I am really trying to have one of my own.

Contributors