
I am one of those awful moms that you used to hear about as a kid that makes her kids get up and do jobs before going to school. It is not that I am a clean freak (or at least I am not out of control), it is because I think kids are easily over stimulated, lazy and spoiled at the same time. I am raising men not just boys and they will have to work for the rest of their lives. Some may say that is all the more reason to let them play now; however, I have this theory that work is only work if you make it. It is all in the attitude. For instance, most of us have just accepted the fact that we have to brush our teeth every day. It just is, therefor not work. I wanted to instill in my kids the accepted fact that taking care of yourselves and your things is just life.
My good boys have vacuumed, scrubbed toilets, emptied trash and did dishes since they were 4 or 5 years old. Each job started out simple and then grew as they matured. I have always had some kind of job chart going on for at least 9 or 10 years straight. We are talking no breaks here, yikes! But, the time has come that the boys need to learn for themselves to take care of their things and not just because mom says so. I told them a couple of weeks ago that they were now stewards over their own room. I would no longer require them to clean their room everyday. In addition, they would be taking on doing their own laundry. We had a hands on lesson and I sent them on their way. The only rule was that they were not allowed to go to school with dirty or wrinkled clothes and that they could do their laundry whenever they wanted but had to finish once they started. So far they have each done their laundry without coaxing and have even ironed the shirts afterward. I am proud of their efforts there but, am going crazy with the dirty room! I knew when I started that there would be a period of "whahoo I don't have to clean my room" but holy moly. Everyday I wonder if I have made a huge mistake and then I remember that it has only been a couple of weeks and eventually they must get sick of the smell if nothing else right? So, if I turn up missing one day, check the kids room I probably sunk in the ocean of mess in there!

3 comments:
OMGosh M. I can't believe it. You are amazing. So does Tre do his own laundry too, or is it just J and A. You'll have to fill us in on how that is working out for you. Lexie keeps asking to do her own laundry. I think I'll wait and see how your new routine works. Seriously, let us know.
I did my own laundry from a young age and I got to the point where I wouldn't let my Mom touch it, for doing it wrong, but it wasn't until I was 17 that I convinced my Mother that I was a big enough girl not to be told to clean my room. Good luck.
I think this is great! I cannot wait to hear the updates...will they or won't they clean their room? Keep it up. You are doing awesome.
Post a Comment