/* Google analyics */

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Whisperings of Love

These last few months have been hard ones. But, I can't help but acknowledge small blessings a little here and a little there.

I have come across or had an experience where the spirit has whispered "I love you". One of them was hearing Elder Wirthlin's talk in conference. When the conference Ensign came out Monte chose that talk to share with his home teaching families and then taught a lesson from it at family night (my visiting teachers used this lesson for me as well). Our Jax has a real sense of healthy pride and always wants to do his best. Sometimes when he makes a mistake he suffers more than he should about it. The next day after this lesson he came home with a big smile and said "I used the lesson that dad talked about last night". He had answered a question wrongly and instead of feeling embarrassed he chose to laugh like the talk says. He was beaming and I could tell he learned a valuable lesson.
When I woke up today and saw that Elder Wirthlin had passed away, my thoughts were bittersweet. I am glad that his feeble body is whole again but mourn the fact that next conference I would have anxiously awaited his talk.

I am so grateful for the peace that comes from understanding a purpose for this life. This blog, brought to my attention by my good friend Jennie, who could wallow in sorrow herself but chooses to see the tender mercies, was another moment that struck me full force. If you click on Camille's picture on the left you can read the whole event. It is amazing to me that life could literally end yet go on and really begin anew. Even after the biggest trial of your life there can be joy that comes from the trial itself. Wow!

A few weeks ago we were meeting with the bishop as a relief society presidency and he said something that had crossed my mind a lot. He mentioned that something he has learned the most from his short six months as bishop is that people seem to think that if they could be like someone else their problems would be gone and yet when he meets with those people they just want to be like someone else and so on and so on.

I think trials we have can be gifts if we will let them. There is not an easy way to become strong. But, strong I want to be so I will learn and grow and trust and delight in the small moments that bring such comfort. My Christmas wish for you is to be present in these moments where your Father tries to tell you He lives and He knows you and He loves you.

Merry Christmas Season!

3 comments:

Lara said...

I too was sad to hear about Elder Wirthlin. But one cute thing for me was that the last talk he gave at conference happened to be my favorite talk of his of all time. It was a great talk to end on. "Come what may...and LOVE it" has been my new theme since I first heard him give the talk. Everyone will have trials in life. It's how we endure them and what we learn from them that matters most. I want to be able to look back on my trials and say "Wow, that was a tough thing to go through, but I endured it well." Unfortunately it takes trials sometimes for us to realize just how real the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father are.
Sorry about the novel and thanks for the link to the Waite family's blog. I could never begin to imagine how tough it would be to lose a child. I could only hope I would be able to endure that trial as well as they have.

Jennie said...

Thank you for your post. I had similar thoughts when I heard of his passing and then saw Stephanie's post. I ditto everything you both said. Thanks for last night. I had such a great time and I am truly grateful for 'true' friends who respect me and bouy me up! Thanks!

The Benoits said...

Thanks for your post mechelle...I needed a pick me up today, and your words were inspiring.

Contributors