So last Sunday our little "fun lane" turned into a four lane super highway. After literally months of rumors and wondering,our ward finally split. What seems like forever ago we went to our stake center where four wards became six wards. Our little neighborhood was made into it's own ward - the Roberts Farms Ward (a little bit of a tongue twister if you ask me).
Now, this is the sixth ward split we have been through and I had finally got to the point of understanding that things are a little crazy for the first couple of months and then it all calms down. As people are called to different callings you might have a tinge of envy for the friendships they will create and the neat experiences they will undoubtedly have serving the Lord . I was fully prepared for that little feeling. I was ready to get out of primary but knew that a new ward would re energize me.
All week long I would tease Monte with "it's the church" when the phone had rung or "we have to meet with the bishop tonight" when he got home from work. Tuesday went by and no call - I thought "good presidents are out of the way". Wednesday, Thursday came and went and I thought we were in the clear. Saturday morning a strange name appeared on the caller ID wanting Monte and I to meet with the stake president Sunday at 10:30am. (Monte did not believe me until we were dressed and on our way to the church Sunday morning) All day Saturday I kept saying counselor in the elders quorum again - we have done it before and it would be great. Monte kept saying secretary in the elders quorum sounds fun.
While getting ready Sunday, the phone rang and the bishopric wanted to meet with me at 11:00am (church starts at 1pm) this is the point where my stomach started to churn a little. We walked into the stake center and there was a couple from the ward we just split from. They looked like deer caught in the headlights. He asked Monte if he slept at all last night. Monte had slept like a baby - no worries, we had done this before. We go in. The stake president asks us about ourselves, where we grew up that kind of thing. He is the principal of the elementary I went to. We chit chatted very calmly. He then begins with "I am about to change your life". Still not getting it here, I smile pleasantly. Then Monte is called as the elders quorum president and I almost spit all over the whole stake presidency. I was totally not expecting it. Monte likes it a whole lot better when someone else is driving the wheel and he can just support and sustain. Our ward is so great and there are at least fifty other guys able to do this one. I still want the story behind it all.
Somehow we make our way to the bishop's office where I am called as the Enrichment counselor in the relief society. Uh, isn't there some kind of ladder you are supposed to climb up gradually. I taught the seven year olds in primary and Monte was the webelos leader. No one really knew who we were. We hadn't lived here that long. It took me two days to not laugh every time I thought about the whole thing. Crazy ehe?
I hope we are still alive in a few months, with a new ward there is a lot to get organized. I have been in one week and have had three presidency meetings, taken a meal to a sister, given a short talk and planned our first enrichment activity. Monte was just sustained yesterday and his work has just begun. Pray for us...please!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh my gosh you guys. Talk about double whammie! Congratulations. You may be surprised, but we aren't. You guys are awesome. RS is old hat for you Mechelle, and Monte, watch out. I know you have tons of ideas! You will both be fabulous. However, this doesn't mean you can go and drop out of Book Club. What would we do with out you!
Congratulations you two...Or should I say RUN! Wow, that is so crazy. You would think they would only put one spouse in a busy calling. That would teach Monte to not complain about scouts anymore. haha It's so fun to start from scratch though, you'll always remember the fun times you had creating the traditions of your brand new ward. You two will do great!!
I can't believe you guys were that surprised! Chad and I have been speculating all week and we had you two pegged from day one! You will do fabulous and call us for help anytime, we'll try not to turn you down and run! Good luck and we are praying for you both!
Oh you guys will do great! You might have to stop with the impure thoughts now! :) Casey was really flattered by that comment though! Hang in there, you will have book club to vent!
Post a Comment