/* Google analyics */

Monday, January 26, 2009

What's for Dinner?


I was looking on Allrecipes.com for some new slow cooker ideas when I came across this lovely number. I was thinking of doing this for our next Freezer meal group. What do you think? Below I copied the reviews just to show you how hot-dang-yuuummmy it sounds. I'll send Monte out shootin' for a dozen or so squirrels - that should keep him busy for a while, right? (even as I type I have the accent going)


Slow Cooked Squirrel


Submitted By: Bobbie Jo
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours

Ready In: 8 Hours 20 Minutes
Servings: 6
"This stew recipe is for those of us who are hunters and are more of the country ilk. It is easy that you can go to work while it simmers in your pot and when you return home, dinner is ready."
Ingredients:
2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into
pieces
4 large potatoes, quartered
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 onions, sliced
2 cups water
1/4 medium head cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
1. In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.



SKOMP
Apr. 6, 2008
I'm only giving 4 stars because it tasted a bit nutty.


RAINDOVE1
Jan. 25, 2004
This is the first time i tried squirrel w/cabbage,it was pretty taisty,this is a good recipie*



CAFFINEHIGH
Feb. 17, 2005
Excellent! Tastes like chicken.

SUPERESC
Oct. 7, 2003
Y'all should try this! The hard part is skinning it, but once that's done, its easy as apple pie!


CHEF-IN-TRAINING
Oct. 7, 2003
EXCELLENT! It takes a veeeeeerrrrrrry long time to cook, but is worth it!

Pam-3BoysMama
Nov. 22, 2008
This has potential, but I felt it was a little bland. It needed more seasoning, possibly some fresh garlic and more salt and pepper.


Lilly
Oct. 21, 2008
this is the same receipe my mama always used when we were kids. i think i'll make her a pot!!! thanks!!


I know I am making fun. In exchange I'll take any "green jello" jokes you got.

7 comments:

Ange said...

Only someone named Bobbie Jo could have come up with that one :)

Jewels said...

Wow, I am SO glad I am not in your freezer group!! Remember when Cody served us Moose at Bunko that one time. I think it's all in your head, if you don't know what you are eating it just might taste good but SERIOUSLY!!

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh. I thought I could handle the thought until I read the first line of the recipe.... gutted and cleaned, and chopped into pieces. Excuse me while I go and .... ya know... be sick. Are you freaking serious. People actually eat that? Okay, maybe if you are starving or if you live so far up in the hills that a trip to Costco just isn't possible, but still. Squirrel, Seriously?!

Ange said...

Okay, I honestly have to say....times were a bit tough for my family, and as a kid we did eat rabbit a couple of times. And I'm not sure how close squirrel and rabbit are - but it tastes NOTHING like chicken!
Thank heavens for the big bag of Tyson-all-ready-plucked-gutted,de-boned,& cleaned chicken - ready to use!

Lara said...

What an...interesting recipe. I too love that it was a "Bobby Jo" who submitted the recipe. And that comment about it tasting a little nutty cracked me up!! I am usually one who will try most anything but I am not so sure about this one. :)

Allen's said...

Gross! Hey thanks for the myfitnesspal link! I love it...it is so easy and great! I am hoping it will help me reach my goal!

Roberts Farm said...

You found me! Now I get to enjoy your cute blog and great/funny insight! You are the best!

Contributors