
OK people I need your help.
How much should you tip your hairdresser?
When I looked it up it gets into the shampoo person and the colorist. Does it matter if they have their own salon or if they rent a booth? I remember that being a factor in a discussion once.
At a restaurant you tip for service and I was always told that they make very little hourly so their service is really how they made their money. At the salon, they are making $30 an hour at least. The service is kind of mixed in.
I wonder if I am totally jipping my hairdresser. I just add an amount probably more like 10% but maybe it is the same as a restaurant.
We need a mountain standard time Emily Post so all these things can get cleared up. I mean do y'all gift your mailman at Christmas? You do? AAhhh I am in big trouble.

7 comments:
I am so glad you posted this because I need help in this area too. I have always tipped my hair guy 15% but I have no idea if this is good or bad. I heard once that because he owns his own salon and gets a portion of everyones earnings it isn't necessary to tip him. I still do because I feel bad not tipping.
I remember my mom always giving the mailman a Christmas bonus. I think I would be more inclined to tip our mailman if they walked a lot and if they made the effort to come right to our door like in the old days. Now they just drive up to the community mailbox and stuff away. Does that really deserve a tip?
I really want to know what other people think on this subject.
A little bird (who does my hair) told me that it is usually the same as a restaurant, 15-20%. There are a few reasons for this. Yes, servers in restaurants make only 2-3 dollars an hour, but a stylist has additional expenses. They usually pay booth rent, hair product and supplies, pay for the receptionist, etc. Every salon is different, just like every restaurant is different. Some servers have to pay for bus people, bartenders etc. I think the main point is just to make sure you tip. The little bird told me there are tons of people who don't tip at all. Good luck. I am excited to read other people's feelings on this.
I just happened to be getting my hair done this morning! I get my hair done by my sister in law so I am in a different spot. However I still tip her. I overheard one hairdresser telling another hairdresser that the people that tip the worst are the older generation....then she said usually they only tip me 10%. So according to her 10% was more like an insult. I am a beauty school dropout...so I do have a little experience with this...and jennie is right on the money. It is just like the restaurant business.... and does it count if you "thought" about tipping your mailman...:)
I think you should be extremely generous with your hairdresser. You look FABULOUS! XoXoXo
Hi Mechelle! I had to laugh when I read your Blog! I hope you don't mind me looking! Your family is darling. I havn't seen you guys forever. It looks like life is good! But on the subject. . . . since I have a salon in my home, a lot of people think No Tip because I do own it, but then some disagree and tip very generously. I think as the hair dresser it is all the same. But I do think it is funny when people say they don't tip because of that, when in fact owning it, I have a lot more things to pay for. It is fun to hear everyones opinion. I hope all is well. You look awesome!
Love Hill
Well don't I feel like a LOSER!
I didn't actually KNOW you are SUPPOSED TO TIP the hair dresser. After graduating from the $12.95 haircut place, and realizing that yes - I deserve a better hair cut, but it's $35.00 dollars - I sort of figured the tip was somehow built-in to the higher price.
And I've never heard of giving the mailman a gift? Maybe we should all coordinate and leave a plate of cookies in the mail boxes on the same day this Christmas.
I'm all of a sudden feeling like a very selfish penny-pinching-tipper-loser-grinch. But I didn't mean to - I PROMISE!
Thanks for letting me in on all this before the next time I get a hair cut. I'll be sure to tip this time, but I do hope there's not a retro-active clause that says I have to back-pay for all the tipping I've missed.
I have always tipped a lot but I must say that the cheaper the color and cut the more the tip! When I am spending $100 it is hard to fork out much more! Also very sadly, I am going totally gray, coloring is no longer optional!! Oh the joys of turning 30!!
Post a Comment