/* Google analyics */

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's day!


One of my goals I made for myself at Women's Conference was to make a list of good qualities about my mother. Since today is Mother's Day, I thought I would do that now.

1. My mom was a champion at making our birthdays memorable. I was the youngest and she didn't lose steam either. We had birthday dishes to eat off of and our presents were always wrapped and set out like Christmas on the piano when we woke up.

2. My mom was always an example to me. She read her scriptures and wrote in her journal everyday. I was never unsure of her testimony and knowledge of right and wrong.

3. In my tween years we read several books together during the summer days. It was not so much appreciated at the time but now I see the great sacrifice it took and what purpose it had.

4. As long as I asked first the answer was usually yes. She created a trust between us that I now see was important. Instead of sneaking out I would just ask and I was less apt to do really crazy stupid things.

5. She would always wait up for us to get home as teenagers. I thought then that she just wanted to, but now I know she wanted us to feel important and those long, late, night chats brought us closer together and helped sort out emotions. Sleep would have been her first choice.

6. My mom was great at birthday parties. I didn't have one every year but a lot. I had at least a couple slumber parties that were historic. She had games and events planned out for the whole night and in fact, one attendee told her mom it was the best ever and we "didn't even watch a video".

7. My mom was a protector. Because she had built a relationship she knew when things were not right. In third grade I struggled with my teacher and she fought for me to be moved. It meant a lot that my feelings were validated like that.

8. She kept a clean house and taught us to work. I definitely didn't enjoy it then but now I see the gift it was. There was always a check list for me to accomplish on chore day and the house was always picked up at night. Our house was not always peaceful but now I see the comfort and security that a straightened house brought.

9. My mom exercised. My mother has never been small, but she walked regularly all through my growing up. I admire that example because it helped me make that choice as well.

10. My mom was strong and liked by sooooo many. She is one that would start up a conversation with anybody. It was a joke that when you went with mom somewhere it would take twice as long because she was a talker (now you know where I get it). People would tell her she was a great lady right to her face, all the time. I think you have to be pretty special for that to happen often.

Happy Mother's day mom and thank you for all the great examples you have been to me. I don't give you enough credit for your "intentional living" (another WC goal). Love you!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Mechelle, what a great post! I'm am sure your mother is so proud of the daughter she has created. You are an amazing person.

Belinda said...

Mechelle,
Happy Mother's Day! I love your mom! I have tried to call her, but I need to try again.
I love your post. I know my mom, dad, my siblings, and I have always admired you so much. You are one of the greatest moms I know. One of my main goals in life right now is to master that fine Mechelle inspired task to straighten and get get my house clean before bed. You always have great advice.
With lots of shiny love,
Belinda

Jewels said...

You know what they say: Like Mother, Like Daughter!! Now we know where you get all of your amazing attributes from! What a neat post for your mom, thanks for sharing and Happy Mother's Day!!

Lara said...

What a great tribute to your mother. She sounds like a pretty special woman. I agree with Julie. Like mother , like daughter. You are an amazing mother and woman as well. You are such a great example to other moms in so many ways. I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day!

Ange said...

Wow. I can't say more that hasn't already been said. I agree with everyone. As a mom I don't like the idea of taking credit for the great things our kids do - because then you also have to take some credit for the dumb things too. HOWEVER, when your kids DO good things, you can't help but have a happy heart, and I'm sure your moms heart can't help but BEAM when she looks at what a fabulous person you are!
You are truly awesome, and I hope to one day be a little titch like you!

Contributors