
For Valentine's Day I bought "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" for me to read for Monte. I figured whatever I learned from the book would be a great gift. This kind of stuff is right up my ally. I have heard people criticize it because in this day and age it is uncool to put a man's anything before a woman's but I agree with Dr. Laura in that commitment to your husband is commitment to your marriage. And, it is a commitment not just a right of passage. Here is one example I "a ha'd" from the book. I may not put as much value on a quality as he does but that doesn't make me right. This has become acceptable for women to do this but not for men. They should be chivalrous no matter how they are treated. He wants love and admiration? How dare he. And, he wants it in the form of "IT" (my mom reads this ok) without the big sigh and "you owe me" look! Then the kids whine for something and he wants me to pick him just once instead of running off, again. But, I am so tired.
I totally understand that mentality, I do. I have felt all these feelings before. Then I learned that those things are pretty much all they want, love and admiration. Men are such great creatures because if you give them these things, sincerely, they will double up on the return. Sometimes you might not put the same weight on those returns but over time you will be able to communicate your rating scales.
Every time I write like this I think others must be thinking "not again, she thinks she knows it all". I DO! hehehe.

2 comments:
You do know it all! :) You are a wise woman. Ditto to everything you said. It is amazing how many loads of laundry get folded, becasue of it "it". :)
We read that book for book club-it is really good! If you haven't read the 5 love languages, that is another good one-I own it if you want to borrow. Cameron has been soooooo sick, I am taking him to the doctor this afternoon. Sorry this week of no preschool didn't lead to more playdates. Have a good weekend!
Post a Comment