/* Google analyics */

Friday, February 8, 2008

A Great Read... Really!

For the last couple of months I have been reading the Bible dictionary for my scripture study. It has been the most amazing experience. When you think of all the time that has gone by since Adam and Eve were on the earth it is amazing. If you think about it, even the idea of printing from a kind of stamp didn't happen until the 13th century (I looked this up. I am not that good). So, all the information we have about the bible is a miracle by itself. Think of all the change that has happened in your lifetime. Most of them you remember because of pictures and journaling (thanks to blogging!). Think of how the landscapes have changed, it is hard to remember what it was like to have the old Layton Wal-mart, let alone any Wal-mart at all. Times that feeling by a few thousand years and you have bible times. The detective work that has gone into understanding the bible has been one of my favorite things I have come to understand. In the mid centuries there were great debates over what was true and what wasn't. Then you add in the many different languages the bible was written in. Some was originally written in Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, and small dialects we have never heard of. In ancient times they didn't travel the world and learn new languages. Translating was a huge process itself. I am beginning to ramble but wow, I have really taken the scriptures for granted. When you are in a scripture study slump, try the bible dictionary. It is a quick read (I read two pages a day). I am only on "E" and I already love it this much. You will gain such a respect for times gone by and the people that lived on the earth.

1 comment:

"All you need is love" said...

I totally agree! This time around, I have promised my self not just to read, but to study the scriptures, which has included the Bible dictionary a lot(there is so much I don't know yet). I was reading in Genesis and cross refrenced the "Sabbath" in the B.D. and I was amazed at what is said, and I what I didn't know. I thnk it the the coolest thing I have learned in years, literally.

Contributors