/* Google analyics */

Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Have the Powerrr!

Tuesday night the power went out in our neighborhood. Monte and I had run to the store and on our way back we saw a bunch of utility trucks with their lights blaring at Angel and Weaver. We got home and within a few minutes - dark. We were glad we were home, the kids would have freaked. We rummaged for flashlights and put the kids to bed with a movie on Abram's portable DVD player. I was amazed at how long it had been since we had to bump around in the dark. We had plenty of flashlights (not as many as Sister Dover I'm sure - I have to tease Brother Dover, it is a funny story see below hehehe) but who knows how old the batteries were. I remember as a kid walking around with candles and thinking I was so cool, Kaysville has their own power and it was always going out. We, however, didn't have candles hanging around for when the power goes out. We have them ready in a 24 hour kit but not for a temporary thing.
The power was only off for a couple of hours but when it came back on it fried our internet! I was without internet all yesterday. Booo hooo hooo. It was crazy. I wanted to work on my primary lesson. I usually copy it from the web, highlight it in Open Office and print it out. I just couldn't get myself to open the manual and - how did you do it before? We needed to call Dish Network. We fumbled around trying to find a phone number - phone book? what is that? In the end I realized how dependent I am on the internet. I am just glad I didn't have to pay any bills or check my account!

So this Sister Dover story... We were helping with Youth Conference this past summer and were asked to bring a bunch of flashlights for one of the activities. Brother Dover shows up with a five gallon bucket FULL of flashlights. He has this look on his face that makes me laugh just thinking about. He says "Ronda has this thing with flashlights". I guess you had to be there but it was a full on crack-up.

2 comments:

"All you need is love" said...

I love that story about my Mom and Dad, I can't believe my Dad didn't tell me that. To tell you the truth, I knew my Mom had a lot a flashlights, but I didn't know it was that many. I knew about her stash in her dresser drawer, but I'll have get the exact amount sometime. Hilarious. I love my Parents!!
Jana

Jewels said...

Too Funny! I remember Ronda talked about her flashlight at the adult session of Stake Conference last year! She was talking about Emergency Prepardness and that she keeps a flashlight under her bed for "just in case", even on trips she brings a flashlight. I don't remember the whole story but one time when they were at a hotel, they had to evacuate in the middle of the night and she had her flashlight!! Melissa told me about the outage but we had power at our house-weird!

Contributors