Here are the facts:
- Monte Wingle and Mechelle Butterfield were born at McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, Utah on the same day in 1974. (That's 34 years ago for those of you wondering.)
- Monte's family moved to Japan in 1988.
- Mormons believe that their church is the original Christian church that was restored to the Earth by Jesus Christ himself through his servant, Joseph Smith Jr. Mechelle's sister, Stacey, served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or Mormons, in Tokyo which ended around February, 1992. She ate dinner with the Wingle family on a few occasions while on her mission. At her last sacrament meeting, which is similar to Mass in the Catholic Church, she mentioned to Monte that she had a sister with the same birthday back in Utah. She said she would help set us up when Monte returned to Utah later that year.
- Monte returned in August of 1992. He was a High School senior and decided to attend Weber State University as part of what was called "Early College" in lieu of Morgan High School.
- During the last week of the Interim quarter, Monte was called to pass out some papers to the class. While passing out the papers, the teacher asked his name. Mechelle recognized the name as the same her sister had mentioned. She introduced herself to Monte after class.
- Sixteen years ago today, Mechelle left a balloon and card at the teacher's office for Monte asking him to a girl's choice dance. She picked the perfect card which is shown in the video below. Their first date was December 12, 1992.
- Since their first date, they have been inseparable.
Our story is practically the embodiment of Saturday's Warrior. You might think that our marriage is easy being based on a solid foundation of destiny. It isn't. We work at it like everybody else.
Thanks for all the good memories Mechelle. I'm looking forward to the bright future.

4 comments:
So cute you guys! We just think your family is the greatest. It is fun to look back and see you through the years. I'm so glad that I have known you guys for so long! You really are an awesome couple and I'm SO glad we're friends.
OK, I am totally misty eyed right now. You guys are so awesome! Thanks for sharing some of your special times. Happy birthday!
Oh, so sweet!! Happy Birthday you guys!! I tried to catch you at church but you must have ended up going home after Sacrament. Cameron told me Tre was gone and I noticed Hazel gone in Nursery. I hope you guys aren't dealing with sick kids on your birthday weekend!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
I watched the entire 8 minutes and I thought until the last second that Monte had made it and I was in such awe at the time your hubby put in. I must say I am a bit relieved that it was you Mechelle and I don't have to have romance envy. Regardless it was way cute, thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment